It's also pretty funny that since early November of last year--I think right after my last post--I bleached out all my hair and dyed it lavender, but I've not many photos of that at all, despite how nice it looked and how much I loved it. I think having hair that was hard to match with most of my clothes was too much for me (although the few pieces I have in navy or black or white did get a lot of wear). And I love bright printed fabric, but I didn't buy any to sew up because of my hair. I'm back to brown and feeling a lot more like myself and now that I have finished one of my degree programs (microbiology) finding school/work/life/sewing balance should be much easier for me, and that much more enjoyable.
So, I thought in the spirit of beginning anew, I would post a much improved version of my Swirl-a-like dress that was my first sewing post on this blog. I've been using the Craftsy platform and learning a lot about fit. Using the high bust measurement was a revelation for me, especially since I have somewhat narrow shoulders compared to those on commercial patterns. On the anchor version, the fabric was cute--although I disliked the sheen--but it was a little bit big because I graded up according to my full bust measurement. For this version, I used the pattern as is, and it fits pretty darn perfect.
It's Advance 8847 and I call it my "Kandinsky dress" because the fabric reminds me of his paintings. Oh, the fabric is atomic by Alexander Henry.
suggestion for piping as a facing, since my fabric was running low, partly due to my desire to pattern match the yoke piece.
|sort of awkward boob shot--but look at the matching! and pretty topstitching!|
I'm excited about sewing again! In the past few months I've taken the time to learn some new techniques that I will be putting to use in upcoming projects. I've acquired a decent stash of nice fabric--no polyester to be seen! Unless it's in some of the fabric I've thrifted--and I keep